Wednesday, 22 February 2012

3DS in 2012: The Year of the Handheld

In early February I got a Nintendo 3DS and Resident Evil: Revelations and I am totally sold. Though it's launch year was a bit rough and ready this year seems set to propel the 3DS to stratospheric heights and I for one am looking forward to it. There is a huge swathe of great games already scheduled for the year and there could well be more on the way. Here's my list of the ones that have me excited the most.

Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D

If the demo is anything to go by then this is without doubt the definitive Snake Eater experience. The 3D visuals, sharper graphics and tweaked gameplay all add together to perfect the original PS2 version in a way that Kojima himself would be proud of. My only complaint so far is that they haven't announced 3D ports of any other games in the series.

Kid Icarus: Uprising

This is shaping up to be a great action game. It's a rebirth of an old classic and could potentially give Nintendo another great franchise to add to Zelda, Mario et al. Though I have my doubts about the controls (what the hell is that stand?) I'm sure that, with a bit of getting used to, it will be a great game and a worthy new franchise.

Heroes of Ruin

This is a great third party title, a dungeon/RPG based game full of western influences will be a welcome addition to the 3DS line up, adding something fresh to an already great line up of games. There's no word on a demo so we might just have to wait until launch to see if its good but in the meantime it's hard to deny that this game has potential.

Paper Mario

I have to admit I'd never heard of Paper Mario until a few months ago, don't really know how I'd missed it to be honest. Having played and loved many Mario games I looked into it and found out everything I could and I'm really looking forward to it. No concrete word yet about a release date but it should be out this year and hopefully a date will be announced at E3.

There are countless games that I haven't mentioned and many may yet be announced but these, for me at least, are some of the most exciting of the year.

3 comments:

  1. 2012 and the 3DS is climbing steadily in popularity. Everyone I know who has one has been really pleased with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree game-sta, I am pleased with mine too. Saved up and got it reecently really glad I did. I like Kid Icarus : Uprising brill..

    ReplyDelete
  3. luigi's mansion: dark moon anyone?

    ReplyDelete