Thursday, 16 February 2012

The Legend of Zelda: Story of a Noob

I've been a massive Nintendo fan since I first started gaming. My first console was my brother's NES and although I didn't own one (my parents wouldn't buy me one) I spent hours playing Mario on the N64. I then owned a GameCube and almost exclusively played Pokemon: Coliseum. Throughout this time I also owned a Gameboy, Gameboy Colour and Gameboy Advance, all of which I used to play Mario, Wario, Sonic and Pokemon games. Like I said, I'm a big Nintendo fan, but did you notice anything missing from that list? I have never played a Zelda game. Ever.

I know some of you are going to be thinking that that means I'm not a Nintendo fan but that's unfair, I was just too young and too into Mario and Pokemon to really care and after the GameCube I drifted over to the Xbox 360 and PS3. This year though I'm going back, I bought a 3DS and when it comes out I'll get a Wii U. In the mean time I fully intend on finding out what I've been missing out on.

Two days ago I bought The Legend of Zelda: Orcarina of Time 3D, I figured it was best to start there as many consider it the best and I heard the 3D version was pretty awesome. To say that my expectations were high would be an understatement, many people consider it to be the greatest game of all time and most of those who don't at least feel that it's the greatest Zelda game of all time.

As soon as I started I recognised the setting from the various videos and screenshots I've seen over the years but it wasn't really until I got to the first dungeon that I started to think that it was truly great. The art style, the graphics, the combat, the story, everything seems to be done just right, everything works together and gives the game it's own distinctive feel. It's cartoony and accessible enough for the casual but at the same time deep and intense enough for the hardcore.

I'm currently in the Goron City, having just played Saria's song and, though I won't be able to fairly say whether or not I think it lives up to the hype until I've actually finished it, it's already in my top games of all time list. I can't wait for finish it and I can't wait to try out some of the other games in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment