Monday, 27 February 2012

What Happened to Gaming?

With the next generation of gaming consoles on its way there are rumours circulating as to the improvements being made. There is a lot of talk about video streaming/downloading services, TV channels being added, social networking websites and music downloading and this seems to be quite a focal point for many console developers. This focus on general entertainment is all well and good, having music and films on your console can be cool, but how about focusing on improving the games? After all, I thought the Xbox 720, Wii U and PS4 were games consoles, not computers.

I appreciate that many people enjoy having their games console as an entertainment hub but I prefer to have my consoles for gaming, my DVD player for DVDs, my TV for watching TV and my iPod for listening to music. I worry that by over focusing on other aspects of their consoles, the companies will a) rack up the price of them and b) jeopardise the quality of the games that are available.

Surely it would be better to pay £100 less for a console and then spend that money on awesome launch games than it would be to spend £100 more and have a few ok launch games but have to wait for something truly special? Besides, most people who own consoles also own DVD players, TVs, iPods and computers or laptops, so what's the point in giving them this in the form of a console? The companies could keep development costs down, profits up and create a truly great gaming experience without getting distracted by pointless add-ons and unnecessary services.

So please Nintendo. Microsoft and Sony just give me a gaming console that's better than the one I have at the moment and that isn't hideously expensive. That's not too much to ask is it?

2 comments:

  1. "So please Nintendo. Microsoft and Sony just give me a gaming console that's better than the one I have at the moment and that isn't hideously expensive. That's not too much to ask is it?"

    Spot-on.

    Granted, I use my PSP for listening to music and storing my art, but the primary reason I got it was to play games. The same thing goes for my 360, my PS2, and all the previous consoles that I've owned.

    Putting all these other bells and whistles...it isn't bloody necessary. That's just my 2-cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to agree with your thoughts on this one Rob.

    Most of us would keep it simple and ask that prices are kept low, or as low as poss, and that the console is an improvement that works well.

    Naj

    ReplyDelete