Friday, 9 March 2012

The Best Games of This Generation

Disclaimer: I don't own a Wii so there will be no Wii games included here. Sorry.

In a few months time the current generation of consoles will be in its death throes. The Wii U will be released and within a year we'll probably be hearing about the next Xbox and Playstation. I know there are some big games still to come (Halo 4, The Last of Us, Pandora's Tower etc.) but it seems like a good time to look back at what I think are the best games of the generation.

5: Skyrim

Skyrim is a truly vast RPG and although it was plagued with issues on the PS3 it was still a great game. The graphics, gameplay and story were all fantastic and the amount of hours you could spend on it was jaw dropping. It's a true must play for any fan of western RPGs and was, for me, the best game of 2011.

4: Red Dead Redemption

Red Dead Redemption is, for me, Rockstar's crowning moment. It had awe inspiring graphics, a massive, immersive and open world, a great story and characters that you genuinely cared about. The replay value is immense and the online multiplayer is great fun, my only complaint is that it seems unlikely to receive a sequel.

3: Gears of War

The original Gears of War is what made me buy a 360, the single player was great, it had co-op and supported split screen. The graphics and gameplay were great and, although the multiplayer was flawed, it remains as my favourite online game of all time. It's a shame the sequels didn't live up to the first one.

2: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Uncharted one and two were good but for me this is where the series took off and became truly great. The graphics are fantastic, the gameplay is fluid and fun and the story is one of the most cinematic and engaging of all time. An absolute masterpiece of a single player game with a great multiplayer suite as well. They cannot top this.

1: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

MGS is my favourite series of all time. The characters, the story, the music, the graphics and the gameplay are all incredible and the replay value is immense. Each game develops the plot over the last one and the story culminates here in what is one of the most epic video game stories of all time. Hideo Kojima is a genius and is undisputedly the greatest video game developer of all time and this is his magnum opus.

5 comments:

  1. I would definitely have to add Batman: Arkham City in there - it was out of this world! SO many you COULD add though I guess.....
    I'm intruiged to check out the MGS range now seeing as I haven't played any since the original (in almost bird's eye view)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red Dead Redemption the one for me - Brill

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I had an Xbox I bought Red Dead and turned it off after half hour through boredom. I never played it again.... :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shame you didn't like it, whats your fav game?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Skyrim for me - highlight of 2011

    ReplyDelete