Wednesday, 22 August 2012

Rome Total War 2: A Total Lack of Ideas?

The Total War series is one of the most incredible series of all time. I first heard of it through Rome: Total War and have since played Medieval, Medieval 2, Shogun and Empire: Total War (I can't play Shogun 2 because I don't have a good enough laptop or PC).

Creative Assembly recently announced that the next game would be Rome: Total War 2. The Internet seemed very excited and people were watching the trailer in their millions but me? Well didn't they already do a Rome game? And then wasn't it followed it by a Medieval sequel which was followed by a new game which was followed by a Shogun sequel? Are we seeing a pattern here? Is this how it will work now?

Stop revamping old games!

I loved Rome: Total War, it's got to be one of the greatest PC games of all time, the sheer scope of it was incredible. I loved Empire as well, it refined the formula brilliantly. But Shogun 2, although I don't own it, was kind of a bummer for me simply because, instead of visiting a new era, they revamped one they'd already done. I wanted new not old. Before I go off on one I do have to point out that Medieval 2 is my favourite of the series, so revamping an old one can work, if you do it from time to time. The problem is Rome 2 will be their third revamp and they only have 6 games in the series so far, 7 when Rome 2 is out. To have have a 7 game series which contains what will soon be 3 revamps is very worrying because it points to either one of two things: Creative Assembly are doing it solely to make money (Sega could be to blame here because, let's face it, they need cash) or it could be that they are out of ideas.

Either scenario is bad, making something artistic with the main intention being to make money will only lead to stagnation, something which has been proven with games like Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero but on the other hand a lack of ideas means that we'll end up being fed up with endless sequels and revamps. What's next after Rome 2, Medieval 3: a Little More Total? - side note, including the ability to use tactics of total war, such as targeting civilians, could spice things up a bit, where do all the civilians go during the wars you fight in the game?

Essentially Creative Assembly need to get this game out of the way and then give us something new for the series, and fast. Two of the games people praise the most, Rome and Empire, stand out because they marked big changes for the series and it's changes like that that keep a series alive.

Follow on Twitter @RobCarroll93 and sign up for blog alerts in the box above!

6 comments:

  1. Rome and Empire stand out and we do need more that carry on, improve, change and keep things alive and growing. It's a shame when games are re-vamped just to make money and more money but guess you cant blame the big guys who want and demand the big bucks to keep rolling in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rome Total War (the first version) was really good. But it could be improved. When Rome Total War (the second or gold version) rolled out I thought it would be better. And I was dead wrong about it.

    I do believe all old games can be improved upon. Even the ones that were almost perfect. I'm looking forward to Rome Total War 2 and hope they don't disappoint me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the Gold Edition was just supposed to bundle the expansions with the game. Also I agree old games can be improved upon but for a series to stay fresh it needs to expand with new ideas, not revisit old ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure who made the comment about the first version Rome Total War, as it was anonymous, but I do agree I thought it was very good.Surely with any game it has to expand, evolve call it whatever you like but it is important to keep things fresh and inviting and wanting us coming back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Game-sta like your comment, keep us coming back for more - we need this or rather the shops, game developers etc but isn't it great to have a wish list of things to buy and look forward to. I thought the first edition Rome total War was good by the way.

    Stevie

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete