Thursday, 27 September 2012

Gaming's Greatest Franchises

In gaming's lengthy history there have been thousands of franchises established, some have flourished and have been around for decades, others have faded and been forgotten but the medium as a whole is certainly blessed with some of the greatest franchises in the world and here I would like to share with you what I think are the best.

5: Halo

It was either this or The Legend of Zelda for me but sadly Zelda will have to take sixth place. The first Halo really defined modern first person shooting and the series has only gone from strength to strength since then. Although Reach may not have had the usual jump in quality that each new game brought with it it did tell the best story out of any of the games and so still progressed the series, other than that though the series is, for me, flawless and I am sorely tempted to buy a 360 so I can play Halo 4, we'll have to wait and see.

4: The Elder Scrolls

Though I have enjoyed countless RPGs over the years and was actually tempted to have Fallout here my love of Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim is simply too great to ignore (I do also like the first two games). In my opinion each game in the series has only improved on what is a genre defining formula and after spending countless hours with each game I can't wait to get my hands on the next one.

3: Grand Theft Auto

Violent, deep, engaging, cutting, amazing. All of these words describe Grand Theft Auto but none of them do it justice. From its humble but great 2D beginnings to revolutionising 3D gaming with massive open worlds Grand Theft Auto is a series that has yet to disappoint and with Grand Theft Auto V just around the corner this is one franchise that seems set to only get bigger and better with age.

2: Mario

Super Mario Bros. for the NES is the game that got me into gaming and my love for all things Mario has only grown since. Starring in a huge number of successful games the character is certainly the most iconic in the gaming industry and his 2D and 3D outings are both consistently great and innovative and any gamer worth his/her salt must have played and loved at least one.

1: Metal Gear

If you read my blog regularly then you'll know I'm obsessive when it comes to Metal Gear. For me there is nothing wrong this series. The story, characters, location, gameplay, graphics, acting and soundtrack are all second to none and Hideo Kojima to me is a visionary genius who cannot be matched by anyone in the gaming industry for sheer talent and execution. Disagree if you will, I'm sure many people would expect a franchise like Mario or Zelda to be here in my number one spot but no, Metal Gear trounces the competition for me and when the series stops I will weep and then live out the rest of my days by playing them in order endlessly.

2 comments:

  1. If you are interested in buying franchise to become your own boss then gaming franchises can be one of the best option for you. Because these days gaming franchise become very popular.

    canadian franchises

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grand Theft Auto has been around ages and I'd probably agree with you on 3rd place. Metal Gear I'd put in 2nd and for me top billing is Super Mario. For me it has stood the test of time, others may not agree but that's my thought on the matter.

    ReplyDelete