Tuesday, 18 September 2012

Remembering the Wii: Twilight Princess

During the run up to the Wii U's imminent release I'll be posting about the Wii, it's games and it's impact on the industry and the very concept of gaming. I only bought a Wii a few months ago but have so far been loving it. Here is the first post in my Remembering the Wii series.

If you've been reading my blog for a few months then you'll know that this year marked the first time that I played a Zelda game and that that game was Orcarina of Time for the 3DS. If you haven't read my posts about my first play of this legendary game and franchise then you can read them below as I'll post the two links after this.

In the last few weeks I have been playing The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess on my Wii and I have really been enjoying it. Though I did play Link's Awakening DX briefly on the 3DS eShop I didn't do very much on it so this really marks my second Zelda game. Though the controls for Twilight Princess aren't quite 1:1 they are still both intuitive and fun and make swordplay a little more enjoyable than simply mashing a couple of buttons. At first the Wii's controls confounded me but games such as Twilight Princess have sold me the concept of motion controls and I look forward to playing Skyward Sword to experience full motion control over Link's Sword.

I have to admit that with my play through of Orcarina of Time the game did strike me as being a little on the childish side thanks to the cartoony nature of the graphics (I later realised that this was not the case) but with Twilight Princess' uniquely dark graphical style any notion of The Legend of Zelda not being a hardcore gamers' series is instantly shown to be ridiculous.

Though Skyward Sword is the Zelda game that will be remembered from this generation as being the one that took the series to new heights (or lows depending on who you ask) Twilight Princess must not be forgotten for its darker tone, vast world and enjoyable controls.

http://robcarrollgaming.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/legend-of-zelda-noobs-tale.html

http://robcarrollgaming.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/legend-of-zelda-story-of-noob-part-2.html

No comments:

Post a Comment