Friday, 21 September 2012

Wii U vs. The Next Generation

One of the biggest questions remaining for the Wii U to answer is how will it compete with the next generation of consoles from Sony and Microsoft, particularly in terms of graphical power. The naysayers say that it simply can't but is this really the case? Look at some recent demos and trailers, demos from games like Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes, Star Wars 1313 and Ubisoft's Watchdogs, all games that are shown on current generation tech but either can or are being run on next generation tech. All of them look far better than anything we have seen on this generation of consoles.

The Wii U is as powerful as this generation of consoles so could presumably handle these games with minimal effort. Look at these games and ask yourself, can we really expect graphics to get much better? I'll tell you, we can't, not unless we move into the realm of photorealism which, personally, doesn't appeal to me, I want to be able to tell I'm looking at graphics and not real life.

So, assuming I'm right, which I'm afraid for all of you naysayers I think I am, the Wii U will be able to run games touted for the next generation in its sleep meaning that graphically speaking it can compete with the next offerings from both Sony and Microsoft. And with the innovation in its TV services, online services and GamePad it will have no trouble keeping up in any other region.

Of course this really just highlights how sickeningly wrapped up we are in graphics. I've said it before and I'll say it again, graphics don't matter. Games are about gameplay, graphics are secondary, you might even say they are third after story but the important thing is to realise and accept that they simply should not be the be all and end all, which, at the moment, they seem to be.

Either way I'd say the Wii U is safe, all it needs is good games which it has for the launch and immediate post launch and will hopefully continue to have for many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment