Wednesday, 26 September 2012

World of Warcraft: Birth of an Obsession

With Mists of Pandaria now out I've decided to talk about why I love World of Warcraft before I review the new expansion. I first played World of Warcraft round a friend's house and I wasn't amazingly impressed (mainly because I had no idea what I was doing), it was later on when I gave it a second chance that the game become an addiction.

I used to love RuneScape and it was one day when I was just too bored of RuneScape that I decided to give WoW another shot and I'm very glad I did, I brought World of Warcraft and the expansion 'The Burning Crusade' (as those were the only two out back then) and I set up a subscription, my first character was a Blood Elf Paladin called Draconoir and I played him for hours. I think it was the simple interface and great gameplay that first started to make me realise how awesome World of Warcraft was, but then the story and diverse environments made me want to learn more and more until eventually if I wasn't playing the game I was reading something about it. Also some moments in World of Warcraft are unbeatable, for example when you first step through the Dark Portal to Outland and you find yourself at the top of a giant flight of stone steps with an enormous Pit Lord Demon accompanied by a demonic army trying to charge up the steps directly at you.

With every expansion Blizzard also greatly improves the already incredible game, I actually skipped school on the day Wrath of the Lich King came out so I could play it for longer and when Cataclysm came out they made leveling from 1 to 60 so much easier, Because when I started playing each zone was meant to get you up ten levels but didn't actually have enough quests to do so, I'm sure Blizzard have also somehow managed to improve the game further. Another thing is everything I've already talked about is just how I felt when I played the game by myself, the experience is only improved by other people, so when Rob started playing the game it got even better, its hard to explain how good it feels to drive a siege engine straight at a fortress with your best friend manning the cannon or the two of you jumping out of a pipe into a sewer to fight to the death against two other players.

I play World of Warcraft even today and even though I do sometimes get bored of it I always go crawling back. My main character is now another Blood Elf Paladin called Synysterg on the European realm Turalyon (if you ever want to talk to me you're more than welcome to) who I love dearly like a child and I don't think I'll ever stop playing.

By Alan Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment