Friday, 19 October 2012

Remembering the Wii: Goldeneye

I never owned an N64 so I only ever got to play one at my friends house and when we were on it all we played was Mario 64 so I never played the original version of Goldeneye. I have heard a heck of a lot about it though and most of what I heard was praise for it so when Alan said he had it for the Wii I had to play it.

Too many shooters nowadays don't have split screen multiplayer. They need it, it's absolutely amazingly fun. The first thing that we did was a two player split screen game of Conflict with the score limit set to twenty. It's one of the most fun things that I have ever done in a game and it really reminded me of playing shooters on my PS1 and PS2, online shooters are great and everything but they can't compete with split screen ones for sheer enjoyment. Me and Alan have yet to play together with a couple of other people but I'm sure we'll get round to it, it's something that needs to be done. It's the simple exhilaration given from hunting one person, knowing that at a glance he can see where you are and what you're doing, that gives this game it's soul. There is no feeling in gaming that comes close.

With the excellent split screen alone this game warrants a place on any respectable list of essential Wii games but added to this is a fantastic story mode (re voiced by Daniel Craig but, disappointingly, not featuring Sean Bean) as well as a decent online mode, though this is hampered by those God-awful friend codes.

The Wii isn't exactly known for being home to awesome shooters, but Goldeneye for the Wii proves that the console is capable of delivering in the first person shooter department, with great controls, a great story mode and that signature, genre defining split screen multiplayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment