Thursday, 18 October 2012

Replay: Metal Gear Solid and How To Eat Lunch While Gaming

The original Metal Gear Solid, and its remake in the form of the Gamecube's Twin Snakes, is my favourite game of all time. The story, the heroes, the villains, the boss fights, the graphics, the sound, the gameplay, the setting, everything about the game is perfect.

I first played the game in 1999 when I was 6 years old (I'm not sure if my parents knew). My brother in law was staying and he brought it down with him for me and my brothers to see and play. We got ourselves a copy not long after and though me and my brother both loved it my love for it turned into an obsession where is trickled off into a more relaxed interest. My first full run through of the game was back then in 1999 and my most recent one was only a few months ago. There was a time, when I was younger, that I used to complete the game three times a day, at one point I even ate my lunch using only my mouth so that my hands could stay on the controller and I could keep playing. Yeah, I was a cool kid.

I have finished the game now a total of 65 times and have done it numerous times on all of the difficulties. For me, even in our current age of gaming, it is the perfect example of how to make a game, the pacing and story are great and the boss fights are second to none. Though the other games in the series also have my love and respect the first one was what started it for me and so it will always have a place in my heart.

If you have never played this game then you owe it to yourself to try it out, Hideo Kojima's vision here is incredible and it is one that is fully recognised in what is undoubtedly the greatest game of all time.

3 comments:

  1. Gaming Passion .... Luv it

    Ollie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah gaming and eating can be a problem. My best one was drinking tomato soup through a straw was going well til I knocked the mug and quite hot soup landed in me lap. Remeber being more concerned with the computer getting damaged let alone vital parts of me.Reckon gaming should carry a health warning.But with you on Metal Gear Solid it is A+

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a genius idea, I don't know why I didn't stick to liquid foods, I always ate solid ones when playing MGS.

      Delete