Friday, 23 November 2012

My Microsoft Story

Back in 2005 I'd been a Sony gamer since 1999, with only a brief splash with the GameCube to break that Sony love up. But then I did something that was, for me, quite drastic, I swapped my PS2 with a friend for their Xbox for one month. I got to play games like Halo, Fable and um, Halo and Fable. I loved those two games but I found that I missed the PS2 for games like Metal Gear so I swapped it back.

Then, when the Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii were released I had to choose what to get. I really wanted a PS3 (which I now have) but I couldn't afford one, I'd heard the Wii got boring after a month or so so I finally decided to get an Xbox 360 for my birthday one year. My first game was Crackdown, a 360 exclusive that served as an amazing introduction to the console, I also got Dead Rising but I was never really into those games. I pretty much fell in love my 360 straight away and a couple of months later I signed up for Xbox Live and bought Gears of War. I was loving life! I had exclusives like Gears of War, Halo 3, Fable 2 and Crackdown and managed to forget my desire to have Metal Gear Solid 4. I was becoming a huge Microsoft fan.

Microsoft didn't want that though. They wanted me to be a PS3 owner. How would they persuade me to sell my 360 though? Well, they released Kinect.

With Kinect Microsoft's focus shifted away from the hardcore market and focused on the casual market. Games like Fable had their newer instalments made for Kinect and instead of getting loads of new exclusive franchises they stuck with the core of GoW, Halo and Forza for the hardcore gamers. The rest of their focus went on making the console an entertainment hub. I don't want to watch TV on my Xbox, I want to play awesome games that are only available on Xbox.

I then spoke to my PS3 owning friend about this, saying I was worried that Microsoft would kill their hardcore market and he had me play Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted and Resistance.

I was sold and so was my Xbox.

That was last summer and now here I am over a year later with my PS3 and I have to say I think I made the right choice. I am sad that Microsoft seem so hell bent on screwing gamers like me out of their target audience but it is giving them massive commercial success so I can see why they'd do it. The thing is though they have now built up a hatred in me, they screwed me over and I'm angry about that. So if you ever see me moaning about Microsoft and the Xbox here then you know why that is.

I'm not a PlayStation fanboy, I love Sony, Nintendo, IOS and PC games and I do want to buy a cheap second hand 360 so I can play Halo 4 but Microsoft have lost me and I don't think they'll ever win me back.

2 comments:

  1. Dude, you jumped ship for something that isn't required? Weak man. AND, you think uncharted is hardcore? Great game, but certainly isn't HARDCORE.

    Metal gear 4 was good, but I have enjoyed the HD Collection a little more.

    All in all, I don't really understand what this post is really about? You not liking Kinect?


    Also, I want to watch tv on my xbox! Why wouldn't I? Time Warner fucking blows chunks and anything I can do to get their dick out of my mouth, I want to do!

    You're right, Microsoft game studios briefly became less interested in creating hardcore games. Instead, I am getting my hardcore games from 3rd party devs and live arcade. That's where most hardcore games come from anyway! Granted, Demons souls is hardcore, and a great game, but so is Dark Souls, and that's multiplatform.

    There are two reasons to be a PS3 fanboy, which you are (and I am an xbox fanboy, i admit, though I own a ps3 for metal gear 4 and ps1 final fantasies) PS Plus - free games... that's fucking awesome. 2 - JRPG's. If you are really into JRPG's, then the xbox will not afford you the games you need. Outside of that, everything is 3rd Party (with the exception of That Game Company, which is going multiplatform ANYWAY). Xbox is focusing on becoming an entertainment hub, and I am HARDCORE into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I jumped ship for hardcore exclusives because that's what I like from gaming. I enjoy all forms of gaming but the PlayStation is my favorite because of hardcore exclusives like Uncharted and MGS4.

    I and most others would consider games like Uncharted to be hardcore whilst games like Mario Kart are considered to be more casual. I enjoy both I just prefer the former. I also believe games like Dark Souls to be hardcore, far more hardcore than Uncharted even. I do feel that both of them are hardcore though, just varying degrees of hardcore.

    I'm not a fanboy but I do have a favorite out of the many consoles I own. I own a Wii, a Laptop, an iPad and a PS3 and plan to buy a Wii U, a 3DS, a Vita and an Xbox 360. This is the antithesis of faboyism.

    ReplyDelete