Monday, 5 November 2012

My Thoughts On Call of Duty

Call of Duty Black Ops 2 is out in one weeks time and I'm getting it the day it launches and will be reviewing it soon after that. So I thought I'd best make my thoughts on the series known because they will affect the review so here I present to you my somewhat unorthodox views on the Call of Duty series thus far.

Call of Duty 1,2 and 3 are, in my eyes, some of the best first person shooters out there. When Call of Duty launched I was getting tired with WW2 shooters but CoD changed all of that by giving the genre a much needed shot of adrenaline straight to the heart. Though there were plenty of other historical shooters, none could compete with Call of Duty, it did it best and for me always has. But then they went and ruined it. Then they released Modern Warfare.

Of course I'm not going to argue it wasn't a great move business wise and of course the game has, for better or worse, has a monolithic impact upon the gaming world and is beloved, along with its two sequels, by millions of gamers all over the world. I hate it though. Always have, probably always will. You see Call of Duty for me is a game series that is best in historical settings, it took a tired genre and make it great again and that's what it does best. Modern settings didn't need doing because Battlefield had that nailed with 2005's Battlefield 2 and has kept its crown as top modern military shooter with Bad Company, Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3. Call of Duty didn't need to save the modern shooter and it could never possibly hope to, Battlefield was and is just too good to beat.

But it did it and did it again and then again and each game was, for me, terrible and I looked to Treyarch for the Call of Duty that I know and love. Of course Treyarch's games showed massive influence from Modern Warfare but World at War and Black Ops both stayed clear of the modern setting and Black Ops 2 will be doing the same. This means that they avoid comparison with games like Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3 and can shine by themselves. Indeed, for me, Black Ops is the best Call of Duty game yet because it has the best story, the great multiplayer and zombies. Oh how I love zombies.

I know this is a fairly controversial point of view to hold but sadly its what I think, I hate Modern Warfare but love Call of Duty and really wish Infinity Ward would just call their games Modern Warfare and let Treyarch keep Call of Duty going.

So there you have it, my two cents on Call of Duty! Check back next week for first impressions of Back Ops 2 and a full written review!

No comments:

Post a Comment