Thursday, 8 November 2012

Replay: Assassins's Creed

With the review of Assassins's Creed 3 going up tomorrow morning I thought it might be a good idea to do a Replay post about the first Assassins's Creed.

Assassin's Creed began life as a PS3 exclusive called Project Assassin, however, after realising that the development would cost a small fortune, Ubisoft took the game multi platform. It was here that I first heard of it when, in an Xbox magazine me and friend were reading, we had a disc that showed a demo of the game in action. Suffice it to say we were both hooked immediately.

A little while later, after months of hype, we finally got our hands on it and raced each other to complete it (a race that I won I believe). I still have fond memories of the game and indeed replayed it only about a year ago. My judgment is not clouded by nostalgia though, it is far from being the great game that the hype promised. The game suffered from an infuriatingly repetitive mission structure, a massive area to travel over in the early missions which is, quite frankly, about as boring as gameplay gets and an underdeveloped combat system that really needed some tweaking.

And yet despite these quite major flaws I still have fond memories of the game, the story is fantastic, the enemies interesting, the setting great and it really was a breath of fresh air when it was released. Although the series has since made this game look awful it should still be remembered fondly and still holds a dear place in my heart. And besides it had Altair. Altair. What a badass.

So there you have it, Assassins's Creed 1 in a nutshell. Check back tomorrow morning for my review of Assassin's Creed 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment