Friday, 16 November 2012

Replay: Bioshock

Note: this was supposed to go up on Wednesday but I did not have time to post it so it is going up today as well as today's post, which will be up later.

I first played Bioshock shortly after it came out on the Xbox 360. I've got to be honest with you all and say that at first I didn't like it. In fact I didn't even finish it, I got fed up and traded it in about a week after I bought it. The controls seemed slightly awkward to me, I wasn't very impressed by the guns and I just wasn't hugely into it at the time.

Over the last couple of weeks I've been giving it a go on the PS3 after I picked it up at a car boot sale for £6 and now I'm really into it. Although the guns aren't the best in terms of feel and responsiveness I've gotten used to it and can really enjoy the gameplay. But it's Rapture itself, as well as the story that surrounds it, that really captures my imagination. Rapture is one of the most unique and engaging settings I have ever seen in a game, the design is amazing and you really get the impression that this was once an amazing city and the atmosphere that its presentation as a now fallen city creates is truly mesmerising.

Andrew Ryan, as Rapture's creator, assumes an almost God like role and his philosophy, found throughout your time in Rapture, provides an amazing narrative that really causes you to think as you progress through the story. The themes of religion, humanity, authority, genetics and beauty are just some of the amazing themes that guide you through the story. The story is one that challenges your ethics and sense of morality and can really show you a lot about who you are as a person. Rarely do I judge a game with the story as its main feature but here the game could be amazing even if it was just the story.

The amazing story is also helped with the decision of whether to kill the Little Sister or save her, it raises questions over whether she is a human or not and if she is not human then what is she and how you can justify her death to yourself? Is killing one because she is only an animal justifiable? Do we need all of the Adam? No, but still we harvest it much like we butcher animals that don't get used to their full extent. It raises fascinating moral questions and means I'm often thinking about the game even when I'm not playing it.

Bioshock is one of the greatest experiences of this generation with great gameplay, sound and graphics but with the awe inspiring and thought provoking story truly stealing the show.

1 comment:

  1. Its amazing what you can get at car boot sales. I really enjoy looking around them. Have to say I'm with you Bioshock is one of the greatest experiences of the generation. I love the game play, the sound and graphics are good and its got a good story.
    Good all round for me

    ReplyDelete