Tuesday, 4 December 2012

Game of the Year: Talks Begin!

I can't help but feel that this year has been disappointing compared to last year. I should point out that I haven't had either the time or the money to play the numerous downloadable games that people have lauded like Journey or Hotline Miami but I have played a lot of retail games across a number of platforms. In fact this year I have played more games (and more consoles) than last year and still I feel let down. Remember last year? Remember Infamous 2, Uncharted 3, Skyward Sword, Skyrim, Dark Souls and Arkham City? Now look at this year, games like Dishonored were good but didn't live up to their potential whilst games like Mass Effect 3 were crippled by terrible endings and Assassins's Creed 3 was an abhorrent experience from start to finish.

There was a time a couple of weeks ago where I was genuinely considering having Black Ops 2 as my Game of the Year. Read my review before you try and kill me and you'll see it would be fairly justifiable. But still I felt like I couldn't put Call of Duty as my GOTY because there would be too many angry mobs trying to hunt me and my family. Also, although it was great and definitely one of the best military FPS games I have ever played, the military FPS has never been one of my favourite genres so it just wouldn't have seemed right.

So what to do? Well I've been playing Hitman Absolution which is really good and ill hopefully get Far Cry 3 for Christmas and there are still a few weeks for me to play any games that I've missed this year so there's plenty of room still for a game to take my GOTY spot. I aim to have my game of the year (and Alan's) up on the 28/29th of December so that its in time for the New Year and I've had as much time as possible to play games from this year.

2 comments:

  1. Game of the year needs serious thought. Be good to see what you guys make of it this year. Not sure what I'd pick yet. Just wish I had more cash to try out more games.
    Billie93

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far Hitman gets my vote but yeah wait til after Christmas it could be surpassed but doubt it somehow

    ReplyDelete