Thursday, 10 January 2013

The PS2 Has Been Discontinued, May It Rest In Peace

It was announced on Monday that Sony are discontinuing the PS2 worldwide, this is the end of the console's 12 year, two generation run that was spent almost entirely at the top of the console sale pile. For me, and indeed for many, the PS2 is the greatest console of all time and its death is something to be marked. It is the best selling home console of all time, with over a billion games sold, 150 million consoles sold and only one competitor to outsell it, which is the Nintendo DS.

I first got a PS2 in 2001, after a year spent envying my brother for having one. I didn't get rid of it until 2009 when I finally stepped into the last generation with the Xbox 360. The last generation was expensive when it began and at the time I didn't see any games for it that could outdo any games I had for the PS2. For this post, which is meant to celebrate the PS2 I will simply list, in order, what I feel the ten best PS2 games are.

10: Tony Hawk's: Underground
9: Red Faction
8: Dynasty Warriors 2
7: TimeSplitters: Future Perfect
6: Hitman: Blood Money
5: Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven
4: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
3: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
2: Resident Evil 4
1: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

So there you go, the best console, its best games. If you have anything you want to share, your favourite game or memory for example, then feel free to leave a comment below.

4 comments:

  1. Shame really, but life goes on, many good memories of Tony Hawks Underground and Dynasty Warriors. As for Metal Gear Solid 2 Brring it on

    JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up on Grand Theft Auto - brill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shame about this - but we move on

    Naj

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think the PS2 has done well, I can remember playing Tony Hawkes Underground. Its been around for 12 years and we all enjoyed it I think, know me and several of my mates have.

    Jay

    ReplyDelete