Thursday, 24 January 2013

What Games Need: Call of Duty

Call of Duty is the largest First Person Shooter franchise of all time but two of the biggest instalments (MW 2/3) in the series just seem stale and its likely that the next one (MW4) will follow this pattern. In this post I will suggest changes that mainly apply to the Modern Warfare series as I feel Treyarch saved the franchise with the changes made to Blops 2. Although I do feel some of these apply to that game as well.

Story

The best thing about Black Ops 2 was its story. It was engaging, featured multiple endings and has one of the best video game villains of all time. The Modern Warfare games on the other hand feature ridiculous stories that can be hard to follow and just aren't entertaining. Modern Warfare should follow Treyarch's example and Treyarch should carry on down their current path and develop their ideas.

Destruction and Vehicles

One of the big reasons I think Battlefield has the better multiplayer mode is that it features vehicles and the environment can be destroyed. Couple this with the awesome sound and you really feel the fight. Call of Duty has good multiplayer but by taking taking a leaf out of Battlefield's book it could really shine. Treyarch already changed it to be more team based so now it just needs to up the intensity.

A New Graphics Engine

The graphics in Call of Duty aren't as bad as haters like to make out because the engine is tweaked from game to game but what would be really great is if the engine was scrapped and a whole new one was built. This would give the game a new lease of life and would make it seem fresh and renewed before you even touched the controller.

Focus on a Single Character

Now that Treyarch have introduced the idea of an awesome story into the series the game's narrative has a chance to get deep and the easiest way to do this is to focus on a single character. More focus would let a player become really strongly connected to the character and this can only be a good thing.


What do you think the Call of Duty series needs?

8 comments:

  1. One question, do you actually read what you write?

    "Call of Duty has good multiuser but by taking taking......."

    " In this post I will suggest changes that mainly apply to the modern Warfare series as I feel Treyarch saved the franchise with the changes made to Blops 2 although do still feel some of these apply to that game. "

    "The graphics in Call of Duty aren't as ad as haters like to make out"

    "renewed before you eve touched the controller. "

    Please tell me you don't want to be a writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your manners could do some with work but thanks for pointing this out. I must have accidentally uploaded the wrong version of the post. Ill edit it rit away.

      PS. If you read my other posts you'll see I don't normal
      Y do this sort of thing.

      Delete
    2. There you are good sir. May I be a writer now please?

      Delete
  2. Lol when saying I don't make typos I made a typo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a born asshole. I accept myself for who I am.
    You got initiative, but the effort is lacking. Otherwise I wouldn't waste time to actually read the entire thing and point out the mistakes. One apparent lack of effort being not double checking what your posting.

    The other of course being grammar. punctuation and word usage. If you are interested in writing, I suggest checking out this website.

    http://www.grammar-monster.com/index.html

    It may sound silly, but it will make all the difference in the world. That is if your serious about writing. Otherwise, continue on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you meant... "That is if YOU'RE serious about writing."

      Idiot.

      Delete
  4. To rude anonymous.

    You are correct Sir, you are a born asshole.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know the figures but am sure the Call of Duty franchise has bought in many bucks. Battlefield may have some improvements on it but the public still support Call of Duty. I am sure it will continue OK.

    Naj

    ReplyDelete