Thursday, 1 August 2013

Loyalty Is A Funny Thing

Are you loyal to a certain games company or system? I’m not necessarily talking about fanboyism but that can fall under what I’m talking about. For years, Sony were my favourite company but recently Nintendo have taken that position. I own a number of Nintendo systems but the one that is most relevant to this post is the Wii U. The Wii U has very little third party support in terms of the countless multi-platform titles like Assassin’s Creed, Battlefield et al. This is no secret and is what this post is about.

Games like Watch Dogs, Assassin’s Creed IV and Call of Duty: Ghosts are very high on my wanted games list. These are games that are coming to both the Wii U and the more powerful Xbox One and PS4. I cannot say for certain that the PS4 and Xbox One versions will be better, but it is likely that they will boast better graphics, potentially smoother gameplay and maybe faster load times than the Wii U versions. So of course the logical thing to do is buy the best version of the game that you can get, so obviously I’ll be buying those games for the PS4 (Xbox One doesn’t personally interest me).

Thing is, I’m actually getting these games for the Wii U.

I fully plan on buying a PS4, whether or not I can get one at launch remains to be seen, but I will get one. The thing is, the success of the PS4 and Xbox One on a third party, multi-platform level is about as guaranteed as it can be. Sadly the same cant be said for the Wii U. So I’m going to support the Wii U, because I’m loyal to Nintendo and I’m loyal to the console. I believe that it’s a great system, produced by a great company and full of great games and great potential. But for this potential to be realised the console needs as many games as possible, this includes multi-platform games. These games won't come unless people buy them. So I’m going to buy them. If I do my bit and if all the other Wii U owners do their bit then these games will be successful, the companies behind them will make their money and more games will come.

So my question to you is, are you loyal to a particular company or system?  Do you own a Wii U and will you help its third party games find success? Let me know in the comments below.



No comments:

Post a Comment