Monday, 10 February 2014

Digital Games and Rarity

Flappy Bird has been removed from the App Store and already phones with it installed are selling on eBay for greatly inflated prices. Whether or not this will become a trend I don't know and it's not what I want to talk about. What I want to talk about is the idea of a rare digital game. 

Think about this, a game released on Wii in Japan only, or in small print numbers globally, like Xenoblade Chronicles, is rare and worth a lot of money. If that same game had been released on Steam as a download print runs would be irrelevant and it would be widely available. So can a digital game be rare?

Will this Flappy Bird craze create a generation of rare iPhones? Will the digital age of gaming rid us of rare games? 

I don't know, this is just a quick thought I wanted to share because it struck me as being an interesting idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment