Wednesday, 12 February 2014

That's Bullshit: Flappy Bird Removed From App Store

Flappy Bird, as I'm sure most of you know, has been removed from the App Store. Not for legal reasons, nor for technical reasons, nor for financial reasons.

In fact, it's been done for no apparent bloody reason! Dong Nguyen, the game's creator, stated he couldn't keep it up anymore and that it was ruining his simple life. I guess $50,000 a day must be a lot of pressure to live with! I know he wouldn't have seen all of that money but I'm sure he saw at least a tenth of it and $5000 a day is an income most of us can only dream of. 

Yesterday he came out and argued that he removed the game because it was supposed to be fun but had become an addiction but I cannot recall a single instance of the game leading to some negative outcome. People happily share their high scores and compete to outdo each other, I don't enjoy the game but it's clearly nailed the concept of friendly competition. 

Effectively I don't believe the man. His reasoning makes no sense so he's either lying (God knows why he'd do that) or he's bat shit crazy (and there's been no previous reason to believe that). 

I don't know, this whole thing just screams of weirdness and complexity to me. Why remove your most successful creation from sale if you want to create things and sell them for a living? 

No comments:

Post a Comment