Friday, 30 May 2014

Socially Awkward Moments in Dark Souls 2

Dark Souls 2, as you'll no doubt be aware if you read my review, is a fantastic game and one of its standout features is its social integration and constant connectivity with other player's worlds. The community in the game is, for the most part, excellent; full of helpful, skilled players and polite people in need of some assistance, it's a great game to play either with friends or with total strangers. 

There are however, times when things don't quite go to plan, when things can be awkward or weird in some way, perhaps sometimes things can even be down right frustrating. Anyways. This is going to be quick list of some of the most awkward/weird/frustrating things that have happened to me online in Dark Souls 2.

3: Rushing Straight at a Boss, Twice.

Dark Souls 2 is a game of patience, skill and strategy. Enemies, particularly bosses, have to be studied, their moves and weaknesses learned. An early boss is the Dragonslayer and I helped someone fight him, a total of three times. On the third time the man learned his lesson and we were successful but on both the first and second attempts he rushed straight at the Dragonslayer, swinging two swords at him like some sort of possessed Linesman. Imagine my disbelief when, after being cut to shreds, I joined his world and he did this a second time. God knows why I chose to try a third time but fortunately he learnt his lesson and we won the fight. 

2: Collecting An Item and Falling To Your Death.

On the way to the Dragonslayer boss fight there is a staircase that goes down and is broken, with a sheer drop to the sea lying beneath it. Go down it and you'll find a Divine Blessing there on a corpse. I was playing with someone and, being the helpful soul that I am, I pointed them to it. I then watched as the ran down the stairs, picked up the item, turned back to face me and back stepped off of the stairs and into a murky grave. Still can't say I haven't almost done it once or twice.

3: Falling to Your Death at the Start of the Game.

This one is actually a personal anecdote, one that vividly showcases my innate talent for all things video games. At the start of the game I saw a bloodstain, I touched it and the phantom ran to the left. I thought there may have been an item there so I ran left as well, straight off of the edge of a cliff and into black oblivion. Welcome to Dark Souls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment