Sunday, 6 July 2014

Nostalgia isn't Enough

Nostalgia is a powerful thing. Games you grew up with can often hold special memories and can become associated with feelings and events in your earlier life. 

I always assumed these games, games like MGS and Tenchu, would stay with me and be enjoyable forever. Sadly I've experienced my first real loss in this area and my nostalgia has been shattered. It all started with my 71st play though of Metal Gear Solid and a playthrough of Small Soldiers and the realisation that the controls feel sluggish. Seriously Snake runs like a boulder and Archer turns like a mountain. 

It was all downhill from there.

Tenchu and Resident Evil's tank controls. The fact Lara Croft turns like the Titanic facing an iceberg, the draw distance in Turok. It's all been a disaster. These games are utterly unplayable. Of course this is by today's standards, I would never deny their quality at the time.

Is this something any of you have experienced? It's caused me to sell over half of my PS1 collection and I may well sell off the rest. I just can't enjoy them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment