Friday, 19 September 2014

Microsoft Buy Mojang

I like Microsoft. Windows XP was great, the Xbox and Xbox 360 were great and the Xbox One looks great. I'm a fan of their products but I trust them about as far as I can throw them. This is why I see their acquisition of Minecraft as bad news. 

I'm sure for a while things will stay the same but the murky language surrounding non-Microsoft versions of the game make me think that updates will, in a few months, stop coming for other versions of he game. Then a few months come the inevitable micros transactions, a starter pack of resources for survival mode for instance. Then the updates get less ambitious, not wanting to alienate people. Ideas get recycled and things slow down creatively speaking.

Then Minecraft 2 launches for Xbox One and PC about a year later. 

Oh and I don't believe Notch at all. He claims it was stressful but I don't think for a second he had much responsibility at Mojang. This was entirely about the money! 

What do you think? Am I being too doom and gloom about it? I worry that I'm going to be right. 

1 comment:

  1. I think Minecraft is used in schools to help with lessons and the curriculum? Good or bad?
    Pupils must be pleased

    'M'

    ReplyDelete