Friday, 14 November 2014

Fifteen Years and I'm Still Learning

Until three days ago I thought the only Pokemon game with an Exp. Share in it was X&Y.

I know, I'm an idiot. 

I've been playing Pokemon since I got Pokemon Yellow back when I was a kid, I've played most entries in the series and have loved them all. I've always said that if Pokemon Yellow had an Exp. Share in it like X&Y it would be in my top ten games of all time. You see, as much as I love the game the grinding to level Pokemon always drove me insane. 

Then the other day my friend was playing FireRed and said he thought there might be an Exp. Share in it. A quick Google search later and it turned out if you'd caught 50 Pokemon then Professor Oak's Aide would give you an Exp. Share. Give it to your main Pokemon and the Exp. they earn will also grant a bit of Exp. to the rest of your party. 

This was a life changing discovery. 
(Is that sad?)

You see I am not a completionist. 'You gotta catch 'em all' simply does not apply to me. I catch the Pokemon I want for my party and that's that. Well it turns out I've suffered for that play style for about a decade and a half now. This discovery, apart from making me feel like a total prat, has firmly placed Pokemon Yellow in my top ten games (all the starters and an Exp. Share?!) and has made me realise how easy it is to miss out on simple things in games, even in the age of the Internet. 

I wonder what other bits I've missed out on in some of my favourite games? And I wonder if any of you have ever experienced anything similar, or am I alone in my idiocy? 


No comments:

Post a Comment