Tuesday, 2 December 2014

My Changing Gaming Habits

In recent times my gaming habits have change a lot and my buying habits have changed to reflect this. I used to spend £40 on all sorts of games, 8 hour single player games, multiplayer shooters, 100 hour RPGs. But things have changed, I only have so much spare money to spend on games and only a finite amount of time to play them. If I buy a game I need it to either be portable so I can play anytime or I need it to be so filled with content I can spend ages with it. 

I just can't get enough value for my money when I have to spend £40-£50 on a game I'll beat in twenty hours and never touch again. I need to know a game can last me for months of playtime. 

So what does this mean?

Basically there are four types of game I buy now. Games for my 3DS I can get a lot of mileage out of and play regularly. Games for my iPad or iPhone like Xcom that can rival a console game for depth, present outstanding value for money and I can play regularly. Open world console games like GTA or Assassin's Creed that will last me a while or RPGs for consoles that, again, will last me a while. The only exception to this rule comes with Nintendo games. Nintendo exclusives are usually made with so much love and attention that they last for a long time and are fun for a long time, so I'll buy pretty much any Nintendo exclusive for my Wii U. 

Honestly this is the only way I can enjoy gaming these days. The days where I buy something like Alien: Isolation of The Evil Within are gone, I can't spend £40 or £50 on a twenty hour game and I can't buy too many games as I just don't have time to play them all. Add to this the fact that mobile games have so much to offer nowadays and what you're left with is a changed buying habit. 

Even my retro collecting has died down, I plan on building a PS1 collection but I intend to be a lot fussier than I was before. And the days where I collect for a bajillion consoles at once are far behind me. 

I'll be doing a blog update soon on what this means I'll be covering or not covering here, honestly it won't make too much of a difference, but I thought some explanation might be pertinent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment