Saturday, 27 February 2016

There Aren't Enough Great PS4 Games

The PS4 is a fantastic machine, it’s got a good interface, it’s intuitive and fast, has a good controller and packs a heck of a punch in the power department, I won’t bore you, you can look at my review for that. The thing is, I don’t think there are all that many great games for it. Since I got my PS4 I’ve played:

Killzone Shadowfall
Knack
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Resogun
Don’t Starve
Contrast
Thief
Assassin’s Creed Unity
Destiny
Battlefield: Hardline
The Witcher 3
Bloodborne
Batman: Arkham Knight
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Fallout 4

GTA V
Mortal Kombat X
Outlast
Just Cause 3
Watch Dogs
Alien: Isolation
Oddworld: New ‘'N Tasty
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Mercenary Kings
Transistor
Velocity 2X
Rogue Legacy
Lego Batman 3
Minecraft
Blacklight: Retribution
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Injustice: Gods Among Us

My first PS4 game. 
The only games from that list I would say are worth buying a PS4 to play are Shadow of Mordor, Arkham Knight, Fallout 4, Mortal Kombat and Outlast. I’d include Injustice but it’s a just a port from the last-gen. The other games are either good (Witcher 3, Killzone) or terrible (MGS V, Knack). And bear in mind you might not want to invest 60 hours into something less than great.

Looking at the games for this year there aren’t many that genuinely excite me. I can’t wait for Doom and, with the huge caveat of it likely falling short of its promise, No Man’s Sky. Otherwise I’m not sure, Uncharted 4 I want to play but for some reason I’m not excited like I was for 2 or 3. The new Deus Ex, Dark Souls, Mass Effect? Meh, meh, meh.

My opinion may well change, in all fairness when I first played The Witcher 3 I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread but for a good few weeks now I have been pondering my opinions of games and seriously feel as though more compelling titles need to come out. Sure if you’re a shooter fan your set, between CoD, Battlefield, Destiny, Killzone, Evolve, Rainbow Six etc. but what is there for the rest of us? Dark Souls 3 will likely be just another Dark Souls and I suspect the next Mass Effect and Deus Ex will be good but not great. I’ve got serious concerns over the new Hitman game living up to past entries. I won’t go on, you get the picture.

An amazing machine. 
Maybe I’m just getting cranky in my old age – I am 23 after all – but for some reason or other I’m tending to buy fewer games and play them for longer because the amount of compelling titles coming out seems to be ever dwindling. I also spend an increasing amount of time on my PS1 or Mac. Am I the only one?


No comments:

Post a Comment