Saturday, 9 April 2016

My Top Five Movie Soundtracks



I thought I’d share with you a list of my five favourite movie soundtracks. I capped it a five because I could go on forever, for instance I’d also include Back to the Future, The Terminator, Hardware, 12 Years a Slave, Aliens, The Last of the Mohicans – I really need to force myself to stop. Anyway, after much deliberation, here are my five favourites:

Robocop

Robocop is a fantastic example of a soundtrack capturing a movie’s core – man and machine. It’s a heroic, march inducing tune that makes great use of mechanical and organic sounds to perfectly represent the character and his story.

Anyone else notice he always poses like this when he shoots?

Gladiator

Hans Zimmer is a musical genius and you need look no further than the score for Gladiator. Inspiring, heart-breaking, heroic, tragic. The score is always what the movie needs when it needs it most, memorable and evocative, it is just one of Zimmer’s many masterpieces.

Das Boot

Das Boot is a film of claustrophobia and chaos. It’s visceral in every sense of the word and the soundtrack captures this perfectly. Whether bonding in peace and quiet or holding on for dear life as enemy ships bomb them from the surface the music really makes you feel it.

Pulp Fiction

The choice of music in this film, as in all Tarantino films, is simply awe inspiring. I’ll let it speak for itself.

Rocky

Every Rocky film makes superb use of music and so many songs have become iconic thanks to this series of films. Through montages, moments of great character drama and moments of wonderfully OTT extravagance the Rocky soundtrack delivers in a way few soundtracks can.

I am entertained, by all of these soundtracks!



2 comments:

  1. So many great movie soundtracks. We are spoilt for choice.

    Have you heard this one? Craig Armstrong - Hanging Escape. It's from an old film Plunkett and Macleane, a film about a couple of 18th century highwaymen.

    'M'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to give it a listen.

      Delete